Saturday, October 6, 2007

Why does your pharmacist hate you

Well, he or she may not. If you bring in a prescription, take the medicine, pay your insurance copay, and leave, the pharmacist probably likes you. But in perhaps a majority of cases, you are infuriating the pharmacist on a regular basis.
Why should I care, you may be asking. Well, at some point in your life you are probably going to want a pharmacist to help you with a real problem. You be surprised how often this happens, and you (the patient) are going to expect the druggist to attend to you right away, for free, and spend as much time as you need. This despite the fact that the normal prescription nets the pharmacy somewhere in the nature of 3-4 dollars profit. But when the doctor makes a mistake writing a prescription (and they often do) or when something odd medically is happening to you that you think might be medication related, you're going to want that person in the white jacket to spend as much time as you need with you, and right away, and for free. If you're young, this may not occur for years, by which time the local pharmacist will be extinct anyway. And if I'm not around ten years from now, let me wish you good luck waiting on hold for someone at the national facility.
So why does your pharmacist hate you? Well today's reason is the mail order prescription. Every pharmacist has heard multiple instances of some form of this statement "Hi, I filled my prescription through the mail order pharmacy, but I can't reach them, so I thought I'd ask you my question".
Great, they make the profit (meager though it may be) but I'm the one whose time you are going to waste. In the time I spend discussing with you, the person who is killing my business, I could have filled ten prescriptions. I hate you. I really hope they screw up your meds bad.

No comments: