Monday, October 8, 2007

Quick One

Patient - "Why did you give me the generic on this?"
Pharmacist "That's what your doctor wrote on the prescription"
Patient "But why didn't you ask me? I don't want a generic"
Pharmacist "According to the state law, we have to give you what the doctor writes"
Patient (annoyed) "But that's not right, why don't you give me what I want?"
Pharmacist (also annoyed) "See right here on your prescription, it says 'must fill generically'. But I'll be glad to check with the doctor and get you what you want"
(time passes, as the insurance claim is reversed and rebilled, and the pills are replaced and recounted)
Clerk "Okay, here you are"
Patient "Why is this more money"
Clerk (to pharmacist) "She wants to know why this is more money"
Phm "Your insurance plan has a higher copay for brand names when generics are available"
Pt "No it doesn't! My plan covers everything"
Phm "I'm sorry, I don't make the price, I get it from your insurance copay online"
Pt "No, that's not true . . . (etc, this goes back and forth for a while, with the same thing being said over and over. Finally, the patient calls her insurance company on her cell phone, standing in front of the pharmacy counter, and speaks to them for fifteen minutes"
Pt (to pharmacist, angrily) Never mind, I'll just take the generic.

No comments: